One of the best feelings in martial arts training is the mastery of a technique. The ability to perform a strike, a block, a transition, or a series of movements with precision, speed, spirit and strength, after drilling it and practicing it time and time again!
The exact opposite of this is losing that ability due to a lack of consistent training!
In my 27 years in Kung Fu I've learned that when I train consistently I find that not only the basics come naturally to me, but moments of inspiration occur due to repeatedly practicing those basics. In those moments of inspiration, an understanding through a freedom of thought takes place.
However, when time lapses, and weeks go by without training, even executing the most basic forms seem difficult. For some this may dent their confidence, for others it may drive them to attend training religiously. The latter are the people who excel!!
Life happens! My motto has always been "Life gets in the way of life" , It has happened to me on occasion, be it through family, teaching, work, travel, injuries etc. That something has taken me away from my ability to train as often as I like. However, once I’m in the class and giving it 100% there’s nothing like it! My day to day"life" is on hold and my real "life" takes over.
Can they run parallel with each other? Of course they can!
If , for some reason or other, you missed a class or two, and got out the habit of your training, ask yourself why.
1) Do you feel you've missed too much?
2) Do you Feel you've forgotten too much?
3) Do you feel your too unfit?
If you answer yes to any of the questions, your answer is within them!
1) Get to class see what you've missed!
2) Remember what you forgot!
3) Get fit!
See you at class
Gary

No comments:
Post a Comment